Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Fresh Ribbons on the Way

One of the double-edged swords from the current state of technology is constant access to, well, anything.

It's getting pretty late at night. I just ordered a three pack of typewriter ribbons from a small business on the Pacific coast. If previous orders are any indication, the package will probably arrive Friday, several days before the estimated arrival date.

I keep "meaning to" put this order in, and I have been waiting to have all six of the currently-in-the-classroom machines ready to go before I cut students loose to use them. Maybe it's procrastination, maybe it's a bit of worry that there will be no interest, and maybe it's a little of column A, little of column B.

At any rate, the ribbons will be here soon.

I have piqued some students' curiosity with the mid-50s Aristocrat. It was my first typewriter, and it's the machine I go to for quick creation of a short handout, make-up notes or assignments, or other similar tasks. It sees service as the back-up when I get a great idea for a last-minute resource but the print network is going haywire.

It's strange to realize that, when all the typewriters that have been generously donated to my classroom are simultaneously in use, it will be double the number that I've personally witnessed clacking away at once. Last year, we had three at once. Next week, we'll have six at once. Shortly thereafter, I hope to have the others in action, and that brings us to eight.

I am still amazed and inspired at the generosity with which my simple inquiries were met. A couple postings online in various forums, and people responded. We put a few miles on the car to pick up some machines around Chicago. I got to meet a wonderful couple who stopped by for breakfast and to drop off a couple typewriters. The proprietor of a typewriter repair and resale store in KCMO contacted me and sent a couple machines my way.

My students have completed several writing activities already, so it may be the perfect time to introduce the typewriters--just the right amount of novelty now that I have gotten used to their writing and they to my reading.

Wherever you are, keep your pens going and your typebars swinging, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment